Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Is this thing on?

*hello?* *hello?* tapping on microphone *IS ANYBODY THERE?*

I probably have no readers left. I don't blame you. I haven't posted in forever. Sad thing is, I think about this blog daily. But honestly, nothing has been going on in our house. Well, besides it being football season. I'm up to my eyeballs in child/house care. I'm not doing so well at it either. There is a mound of clean laundry in the hallway. The dishes are a mile high in the sink (even though I just did a load yesterday). My office is a wreck. My living room is a wreck. My bathrooms need a deep cleaning. The yard needs to be mowed, etc. etc. etc. Picking up the boys, coming home to feed them then play with them then bathe them and get them in bed is a lot to do alone. My heart goes out to those single mothers out there. I have no idea how you do it.

But amidst the chaos, I had a *moment* tonight. I had just pulled the kids out of the tub - Peyton was crying and thankfully Nolan was being good - and I thought to myself how tired I was. How dependent the boys were on me. How I wish football was already over (when the first game isn't even until Friday). How I wish Trey were home to help me. How I wish Trey were home with me just to hang out and talk (cause that never happens during football, sadly). How I wish the boys could play with their daddy cause they ask about him every day when I pick them up. How I wish someone could help me finish my daily to-do list. How I wish the boys were both potty trained. How I wish they could both dress themselves. I could go on forever. BUT, I also thought how this phase in my life won't last very long. I yearn for easier days - for times when I can get a "break" from being so responsible for these precious boys of mine. But one day not too far away, they won't *need* me to dress them. They won't *need* me to TAKE CARE OF THEM. I need to stop complaining. I need to stop wishing away this time that we have. I kiss my boys daily - too many times to count - all followed with a hug and an "I love you mommy" (from Peyton) and "I yuh you" (from Nolan). I know it won't be long until they don't want to do that at all anymore. I can't imagine getting through the day without these two blonde hair, blue eyed boys. I love getting to spend so much time with them (fighting and all) - so football season has its ups and downs. I'm trying to enjoy the "ups."

I often make the comment that "I'm already tired of football season." If you talk to me or know me, you know this isn't uncommon for me to say. One girl at dance yesterday nearly gasped for air when those words came out of my mouth. She is a die-hard football enthusiast. I told her (politely) that I, too, loved football but that my husband was a coach and that takes things to a whole new level. I guess that was my polite way of saying, "be quiet you fool. you have no idea what my life is like." Of course I just smiled and moved on.

But I do find that most people have no idea how intense football can be. To most, the season lasts from August - November (early December) - and I'm talking high school here. What they don't realize is that football never really ends. The "off season" lasts longer than the regular season. I typically feel like we get a break a few months a year but the rest of it is "football season." Weight lifting, spring practice, meetings, etc. keep football going when games are not happening. When I say "I'm already tired of football season" - it isn't because it JUST started. It's BEEN going on for well over a month already (and I mean daily football - not intermittent like the summer/spring). Most people also do not realize that football is 6 days a week. The only day the guys get off is Saturday. They meet all day on Sunday watching game film and then having the players come in to meet. So I become the single mom six days a week. Trey gets home each night around 9. The boys are already in bed. I'm beat from taking care of everything after getting home from work so usually we just crash. The sun comes up and we do it all again. So, there - I'm tired of football. BUT - I'm so excited about the game this week. Swansea plays Pelion - the biggest rivalry game of the year. Trey says they're going to beat them - I'm crossing my fingers.

If you're still reading you deserve a medal. This is such a random post. But it's kind of how things have been latley. I'm trying to stay above water, enjoy my kids, take care of my responsibilities, and be thankful for football season.

Pictures from Friday's game to come. And if we aren't too exhausted on Saturday, we're taking the kids to the zoo. It's highly likely that we will be too tired but if we do go, I'll take pictures and post them. Eventually. I'm not making ANY promises!

I'll be back soon.

3 comments:

Chris and Amy said...

Hang in there! You have such a great spirit about it all. You are right, this time will pass...and you will want it back. I try to remember that, even as simple as our life is right now. Call my mom, she can come help you clean. She loves that stuff!

Corrie said...

I hear ya on the football thing. My dad has been going for 37 years!

W and Js mommy said...

Okay I am with you. Jordan works in sports information and I told him the other day. " See ya in MAY"--he travels in the fall with soccer(mens and womens) and then basketball and in the spring tops it off with softball and golf--he also helps out with home football games, volleyball and home baseball. I live it! I wouldn't change my life...but it gets old--