Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Duke

Trey and I were in Durham to see a neurologist for Trey's feet. We knew we couldn't leave the town without visiting the campus. So we ventured over from the doctor's office and headed first to the cathedral. If you have never been in a cathedral of this caliber, please RUN to one and do it quickly - you are missing out. The first cathedral I ever visited was this March in NYC - St. Patrick's Cathedral. St. Patrick's was OUT OF THIS WORLD amazing - the Duke Cathedral was equally impressive but on a tad smaller scale. Trey was just overly impressed with it all - as was I - but it was hard not to compare it to St. Patrick's (which is so unfair to compare). I was so thankful to see such beauty. I would have taken tons of more pictures but I still don't know proper etiquette for picture taking in a cathedral. I try to be as respectful as possible and just turn my flash off and take a handful of pictures (which is pretty rare for me seeing how Trey usually refers to me as the "paparazzi").

Anyways, here's our trip in a nutshell.

The Duke on the lawn in front of the Cathedral-

Cathedral Shot - it was so tall! I would have liked to taken more pictures but orientation was going on and I felt like an old dork. So I took a few quick snaps and headed into the cathedral.


A few exterior shots...



This is the ceiling of the cathedral. Absolutely gorgeous!



I loved the stained glass and the old chandelier


The organ pipes....oh my the organ pipes. It was one of the last things I saw as I was leaving. They're as grand as can be - I would give just about anything to hear them play!!!



There is a great courtyard outside of the Cathedral.



We actually saw more buildings - and they were all amazing - but I was a little camera shy and there was no where to really park so I missed a bunch of good shots. We have to go back in October so I plan to go back and take the pictures I should have when we were here. Lesson learned.

But one thing that we got to see that might be more difficult in the fall, THE FOOTBALL STADIUM. Ok, we all know Duke isn't in the big league with football but seeing the stadium was still a thrill. And guess what? That sucker was WIDE OPEN. It wasn't locked at all! I parked right outside of the bleachers! Totally awesome!

Wallace Wade Stadium - never knew the name before! Learn something new every day.



The grass was looking mighty fine!



Notice the track? There were actually people out running on it. It was so nice to see this stadium being used in the off season. Why does Carolina lock up their stadium like Fort Knox? So ridiculous. Take note USC!


And check out where the tunnel they run through! Pretty fancy doors, huh? But it totally fits the architecture of the school so this is TWO THUMBS UP from me!


Duke rocked. I even got a sweatshirt. I couldn't have been any happier!

1 comments:

Melissa Kates said...

Amazing photos! I have visited several cathedrals and even heard the famous boys choir sing in one...I think it was DC. Anyway, hope your back is getting better and call me if you need help with anything!